The big spring / summer news starts (with a reminder of winter):
Ridgeway Relay – Sunday 25th June 2023
Alchester have again been invited to take part in this year’s Ridgeway Relay. Probably one of the best team events on the running calendar and we need runners ! You will find a brief explanation below about how it works.
You will also find more information following this link. http://www.marlboroughrunningclub.org.uk/races/ridgeway-relay Click on the 2022 race information pack. 2023 pack will be pretty much identical.
· What is it? It’s a team relay ran across 89 miles of the Ridgeway. It starts at 07:30 at Ivinghoe Beacon and finishes at approximately 7pm in Marlborough.
· How far are we expected to run? The course is broken down into 10 legs of varying distances. They range from 5.5 miles to 11 miles.
· When is it? Sunday 25th June.
· Can I choose which leg I run? We will try and put people on their preferred leg but it can’t be guaranteed.
· What is the terrain like? Off road, hilly, uneven and very challenging.
· Will I be running with anyone else? Leg 1, 7 & 10 have mass starts so yes. For the other legs it’s highly likely you will be running alone.
· Is it marshalled? Mostly no. There are some marshals at key points on some legs but essentially you’re on your own (we will provide a map).
· How do I know where I’m going? Practice – we ask everyone who wants to run to practice their leg at least twice before the day. We will arrange some practice runs beforehand. Please don’t sign up if you cannot commit to practicing your leg prior to race day.
· What happens if I get lost? Other teams do go wrong every year but we’ve always been well prepared with maps, recces and running apps so it’s unlikely you will get lost.
· How do I know what time I’ll be running? When we have all the names we send out a logistics schedule which has everyone’s contact details and time they need to arrive at the start of their leg.
– I’m worried about running on my own – don’t be – If you want you can run with another member or partner but only you will count towards the team event.
· How do the logistics work? You drop your car off at the end of your leg and get a lift to the start. We can usually help out with this. We have it running like a military operation. Nobody has missed the start of their leg yet….
· Are there “facilities” at the start of each leg? Leg 5 and leg 10 yes. The rest no – plenty of trees and hedges but please be discreet.
· How are the teams made up? When we have the list of names we will split them into teams. We just need names at this stage and we work out the teams so don’t worry about trying to convince nine others to run.
· What if I put my name down and then can’t do it? Please let us know ASAP so we can find a replacement.
· What happens at the end? – We go to the pub for a well-deserved meal and drinks.
Other things to note:
The club will be pay the entry fee so it’s free for you to run. We do not care if you think you might be too slow (we don’t do elitist and we encourage anyone and everyone). The event is by invitation only and we are proud to be participating in our 13th year. You don’t need to stay out all day, you can run your own leg and then go home however it is a great team atmosphere so supporting the team is encouraged.
I have tried to be as honest as I can in the notes above and I hope this hasn’t put too many people off but it’s important to know this event is very different to other races when you can simply follow the person in front. If you like running off road with stunning scenery this event really should be considered.
If you would like to take part, help out, captain a team or have any further questions feel free to contact Andy Stickley using email – firstname.lastname@example.org with the title RIDGEWAY RELAY – Please do not reply to any other Alchester email because it’s likely to be missed.
Cross Country (5Mar23) – Marshal Required
Next Sunday (05 March 2023) is the final round of the Oxfordshire League race at Henley. If you want to enter reply to this email – cost is £4.
We are required for this race to provide a marshal so if you can or know someone who can help again reply to this email. Help is always appreciated.
We had an excellent turn out at Cotswold Farm and it would be great to have this again for the last time this season.
Club nights this week
Both Tuesday & Thursday as normal with 18:50 meet for a 19:00 start.
As an FYI the first committee meeting since the AGM will be taking place this evening. all important details will be shared.