We run our own internal championship each year, divided into the following categories:
- Senior Men (under 40)
- Veteran Men over 40
- Veteran Men over 50
- Veteran Men over 60
- Veteran Men over 70
- Veteran Men over 80
- Senior Ladies (under 35)
- Veteran Ladies over 35
- Veteran Ladies over 45
- Veteran Ladies over 55
- Veteran Ladies over 65
In October the committee selects a number of races over various distances and formats. Members are allocated points for each race they compete in, depending on where they finish compared to other members in their category. At the end of each Championship season, the points are added up and the person with the highest score wins.
- The Committee will substitute races in the Club Championship calendar should this be necessary due to a race being cancelled. These will be of a similar distance and format wherever possible.
- All trophies will be awarded at the End of Season Awards Night (usually in November) and will be at the discretion of the Committee.
If you have any questions regarding the Club Championship, please contact Lewis Long.
Members benefit from discounted entry to the Oxon Cross Country series. We need your consent to share your name, date of birth, gender, age and EA number with Oxfordshire Athletics. If you are happy with these, please add your name to the Google spreadseet
You will receive a number at your first Cross Country race of the season, which you then use for all the remaining races in the series. The races are approximately 5 miles/8 km and are mostly off road, so trail shoes/spikes are recommended.
You will need to wear an Alchester white club shirt or vest, (not the blue or yellow shirts). If you don’t have club kit yet, please get in touch with John Nelson (Kit Secretary).
There may be a photographer at each event, but if you would prefer not to have your photo published, please add a ‘NO’ to the relevant column in the spreadsheet.
We also need volunteers to marshal or help with other roles on race days. There are some opportunities where you can run your race, and volunteer for the rest of the event. Please get in touch with Simon Worfolk or Alasdair Kerr if you are able to help.
Eynsham 10k takes place at the end of November, and usually sells out quickly! It is a fast and flat two lap course around the village.
Hooky Christmas Canter
This is one race of the year where you can get away with not wearing the Alchester club vest, but YOU MUST WEAR FANCY DRESS to earn 25 bonus points in the Club Championship.
Parkruns and marathons
In addition to the selected races, you also have the opportunity to earn Club Championship points by completing parkruns and marathons.
You will be asked to submit your best time at four of our local parkruns:
- Bicester (between 1 November 2023 and 31 Jan 2024)
- Buckingham (between 1 February 2024 and 30 April 2024)
- Aylesbury (between 1 May and 31 July 2024)
- University Parks, Oxford (between 1 August and 31 October 2024)
The same applies to your best marathon time from 1 November to 31 October. Simply send me your time, and I will add to the championship results. You can also submit a marathon result from an Ironman 140.6 triathlon, if that is more your thing!
- Runners must be a current First-Claim Alchester Running Club member at the time of the event, and must appear in their own name on race results to score points
- Club vest/shirt must be worn to accumulate points. No club vest/shirt, no points. The exceptions to this are: Marathons, if for a good cause, eg running in a charity vest; Hooky Christmas Canter, if fancy dress is worn; parkruns
- Club name ‘Alchester RC’ must be entered on race entry/results. Your result will then be picked up automatically
- Points will be scored in each age category as follows, and from ‘chip time’ where applicable:
- 1st place 100 points
- 2nd place 90 points
- 3rd place 85 points
- 4th place 80 points
- 5th place 79 points
- Each following position will score 1 less point than the preceding scorer
- DNS/DNF will not score points
- Each participant will only score points in the age category that they are in at the start of the championship, or upon joining the club
- Points will be awarded for completion of a full certified and measured marathon (UKA or international equivalent, or as part of an Ironman 140.6)
- You must complete a minimum of 6 events during the period 1 November to 31 October to qualify for the championship
- Your points from your 12 highest-scoring events will be counted towards your season’s total
- It is your responsibility to submit your best parkrun and/or marathon times to Lewis Long
- In the event of a tie, head-to-head results will be used to determine a winner
- In the event of a race being cancelled, the Committee may substitute an alternative